The universe is full of electromagnetic energy. It is flowing all over the place. This energy from the universe is not a new thing. What is new is the amount we are creating ourselves.
If you live in a city like Brooklyn you are bombarded by electromagnetic energy way beyond anything humans have ever been exposed to in the past. And it is all human made. Go on, pick up your cell phone and tell somebody! Or how about that mouse you are touching…
You do have occasional electromagnetic bursts from space where the planet earth goes up and down in electromagnetic exposure, and sometimes these bursts can be very extreme.
But the ongoing constant bombardment of electromagnetic energy we are submitted to by our machines, cables and other activity is at a historic high.
As a green builder in Brooklyn who runs electrical conduit, installs electric panels, sets up Solar Photovoltaic sytems, builds kitchens and all their machines, installs steam showers, boiler rooms and energy recovery ventilators….we are aware of the many electromagnetic fields we are putting into a brownstone.
Yet we have very little knowledge of what these fields to do people. They may be harmless as the cell phone companies would have us believe. Or they may give us cancer as the list of books below emphatically state.
As green builders and not scientists we are still not educated enough to come to any concrete conclusions. So we hedge our bets.
We are EXTREMELY careful where we place all the gadgets we list in the paragraph above. We run electrical lines well away from where somebody might possibly put their head when sleeping. We are even more careful about electrical boxes, making sure they are not near possible sleeping heads or bodies sitting on a couch or table.
And we pay special attention to how children will come into contact with these fields. That phone charger in the electric outlet down there? Grown ups only expose their ankles to it but the toddler rubs his head against it….one of the most damming studies against electromagnetic field is the one showing a high rate of leukemia in children living near high power tension wires.
With all this in mind we try to reduce exposure as well as exposure time. We try to put things with strong electrical fields in places where people will not spend long periods of time, like in the hallway.
And there are other things we simply avoid, like the microwave! Yes people feel it is indispensable but humanity can spare an extra minute or two heating soup on the stove instead of nuking it if it reduces possible microwave radiation and the still unknown side effects (granted it is proven that trees next to microwave plants die).
Here is a list of books to learn more, which can also be purchased on this web site:
23. EXTREMELY LOW FREQUENCY ELECTROMAGNETIC FIELDS: the question of cancer
Drs. Bary W. Wilson. Richard G. Stevens, Larry E. Anderson, scientistsmechanisms for cancer from ELF at atomic, molecular, cellular levels; animal and human effects. 383 p. 49.95 46.00
24. TRACING EMFs IN BUILDING WIRING AND GROUNDING by Karl Riley practical trouble shooting with wiring & grounding remedials; instrumentation guide. 132 p. 27.00 25.00
25. THE VDT OPERATOR’S PROBLEM SOLVER Dr. Helen Feeley, optometrist
guide for working with a computer screen: aging, cramps, glasses, lighting, static, rashes, ultrasound. 102 p. 12.95 8.25
26. BASIS OF ELECTROMAGNETIC HYGIENE Dr. J. Kulczycki, environmental toxicologist
EMF handbook: ELF, VLF, RF, microwave – and bioeffects; geo-magnetic, etc. Standards. 84 p. 18.50 14.50
27. THE SHARMA REPORT Dr. Hari Sharma, radiation specialist
Classic investigation of adverse pregnancy outcomes among computer workers in a hospital. 243 p. 24.00 18.00
28. ELECTROMAGNETIC MAN Dr. Cyril W. Smith and Simon Best, scientists Health, hazard in electrical environment. Allergic response to EMF, military involvement. 344 p. 26.50 21.50
29. STUDYING PROBLEMS ASSOCIATED WITH VIDEO DISPLAY SYSTEMS A. Michrowski, editor
Technical, scientific issues, human rights, socio-mental aspects of computers. 201 p. 18.50 14.80
30. CANCER and the unresolved health issues … T. E. Bearden, physicist EMF quarrel due to flawed conventional EM model. Rectified, bioeffects explained. 56p. 12.95 10.35
31. UNUSUAL LONG DISTANCE BIOLOGICAL, ATMOSPHERIC AND GEOPHYSICAL EFFECTS FROM UNDERGROUND NUCLEAR BOMB TESTS and NUCLEAR POWER PLANT ACCIDENTS
Suppressed scientific evidence edited by James DeMeo, Ph.D. Earthquakes, meteorological phenomena, life energy reactions in trees and humans, physiological observations. 40p. 7.75 6.25