Getting a good contractor is not always easy. If you find one ask for references. If they make you feel uncomfortable about this that should be a warning sign.
When you call the references ask these kinds of questions:
* Can I visit your home to see the completed job?
* Were you satisfied with the project? Was it completed on time?
* Did the contractor keep you informed about the status of the project, and any problems along the way?
* Were there unexpected costs? If so, what were they?
* Did workers show up on time? Did they clean up after finishing the job?
* Would you recommend the contractor?
* Would you use the contractor again?